Housekeeping staff is available Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 9:00 a.m.–5:30 p.m. to clean and maintain residence hall buildings.
To ensure a comfortable and healthy living environment, the housekeeping staff performs the following tasks:
- Cleaning and disinfecting bathrooms and fixtures (Mont Alto Hall bathrooms are done on a daily basis; Penn Gate I and II bathrooms are done weekly)
- Surface cleaning bathrooms
- Cleaning and disinfecting showers
- Removing common area trash and recycling material
- Sweeping and vacuuming lobby areas and hallways
- Cleaning lobby areas
- Repairing and maintaining building system components (as needed)
- Performing other duties as necessary
Students are responsible for the condition of their residence rooms, furnishings, and any damages or losses that may occur during occupancy. Students should do all they can to prevent unnecessary cleaning needs that add to the workload of busy housekeeping staff. Additional cleaning requirements beyond the normal cleaning schedules could result in damage charges to residents in the building.
Do your part to keep your apartment/suite clean:
- Dispose of trash in the designated area located in the parking lot adjacent to The Village Community Center, making sure everything goes in—not around—the containers. Don't leave trash in suites, outside the entrances to the apartment/suite, or in building hallways. Do not put personal trash in the receptacles located in the front of the apartments.
- Sort recyclable material by following the instructions on the receptacles.
- Clean up after yourself. If you make a mess, it's your responsibility to clean it up.
- Put what you sweep from your room in the trash can, not the outside entrance.
- Routinely clean bedroom and bathroom, and living room and kitchen (if applicable).
- Never put food down the bathroom sinks.
Vacuum cleaners are available for student use. See your RA for information.
Each residence room has been wired for Ethernet connections. The software required and information on how to activate this connection is available during check-in or online.
Residence Hall Computing is designed to assist students living in the residence halls with computer and networking support. For more information about available services, contact the office at 717-749-6193, or send an email.
There are several computer labs conveniently located throughout campus.
Fully equipped laundry facilities are located in each residence area for exclusive use by on-campus residents. LionCash+ is the accepted payment method for laundry. You can deposit funds to your LionCash+ account online or at the Housing and Food Services office.
Report any problems with laundry facilities to Housing and Food Services.
Incoming mail must be properly addressed, using the following format:
MA box number
Mont Alto, PA 17237
Mail is delivered to the Housing and Food Services Office Monday through Friday. You will receive an email when you receive mail or packages and can pick these up during office hours. You'll need to show your Penn State id+ Card to claim your items.
At the end of spring semester, you'll need to submit a forwarding address to Housing and Food Services so we can forward your mail over the summer. You should also contact companies and inform them of the forwarding address to prevent any delay in receiving mail.
Newspapers are available Monday through Friday at convenient locations throughout campus. National favorites USA Today and The New York Times are provided, as well as the local newspaper, the Record Herald.
Report any problems with the newspaper machine to Student Affairs, or send an email.
Any student who wants to have a vehicle on campus must register for a parking permit with University Police.
Penn State has taken proactive measures to reduce waste and protect the environment. The residence areas have been leaders in Penn State’s recycling movement, and all residents are encouraged to participate. There are recycling containers conveniently located throughout campus. Cardboard, office paper, aluminum cans, and plastic are recycled.
Cable TV connections with basic cable service are provided in each residence room. Expanded service is available through Comcast.