A student works on a computer in her residence hall room at Penn State Mont Alto.


Housing and Food Services employs a general maintenance employee to work on daily and routine residence hall problems. Some problems require outside vendors to complete the repairs. Housing and Food Services has contracts with other Penn State departments and vendors to address certain areas, such as cable TV, Ethernet connections, laundry facilities, and card access.

Emergency Contacts

Housing and Food Services 717-749-6081
Residence Life 717-749-6156
Police Services 717-749-6070

Maintenance Requests

You can submit maintenance requests online or by calling Housing and Food Services at 717-749-6081 during normal business hours.

What is the difference between routine repairs and emergency repairs?

Routine repairs are problems that can be scheduled to be fixed and do not require immediate attention. Examples include a burned-out light bulb, problems with the refrigerator/microwave unit, torn window screen, etc.

Emergencies are identified as anything that needs to be fixed immediately. If it's not remedied, serious injury or damage will result. Emergency repair examples include the following:

  • Loss of hot or cold water
  • Loss of heat
  • Loss of steam supply
  • Loss of electricity (beyond normal power outages)
  • Electrical hazard
  • Flooding or major leak
  • Fire
  • Gas leak
  • Any condition that represents a significant imminent threat or potential hazard to the community
  • Glass window breakage that is a potential safety and/or security hazard
  • Pest emergencies (bats, bees, etc.)


For lockouts or lock problems, contact Housing and Food Services at 717-749-6081 during normal business hours. After hours, contact Residence Life at 717-749-6156 or Police Services at 717-749-6070.